FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I get asked this question quite a bit. Here is my advice on recognizing the signs that you are ready to work with me:
You have a pile of design magazines with pages torn out, or dog-eared.
You look around and you are exhausted (aesthetically) of living in your space.
If you feel depleted when you are at home and unsure of what to do about it, an interior designer’s opinion may be key.
You are yearning for custom furnishings and showroom exclusives.
You are open to suggestions.
Hiring a professional interior designer does not necessarily mean relinquishing total control. All we require is an open mind to our suggestions and solutions. Our concierge based service ensures that you don’t have to micromanage , because our focus is on you and the details .
You can see the value in bringing in a professional. You probably don’t give yourself a haircut, or represent yourself in court, so why decorate your own home? Bringing in the professionals saves you from expensive errors and exhaustive processes.
You value process.
Decorating a home can take months, even years. Most of my clients are full time professionals, parents, and volunteers. They leave it to me to manage their project, and I have streamlined my interior design process to eliminate headaches associated with renovating/redesign so their busy lives aren’t disrupted.
The Design Consultation is the launching pad for every new project. During this 2-hour design intensive we become crystal clear on your vision and design needs. In so doing, we are mutually discovering if your project is the right fit for each other. We provide you with design advice and recommendations, and a great direction for your project. We also discuss details such as your goals for the space, your design aesthetic, how you will be using the space, your inspiration, your time-frame for completion, and your budget. Please make sure all decision-makers are at this meeting.
We will review our contract during the consultation, outlining the scope of work, the total design fee, and the advance on our design fee required to get started. Once the advance on our design fee has been paid, we then prepare a full design plan with every detail including drawings, furnishings, finishes, fabrics and the budget breakdown for final approval (one revision included).
We will require 100% of the budget and signing of our Letter of Agreement to move forward with the purchasing and project management phase. Most of our clients are ready to start at consultation, so don’t forget your checkbooks 🙂
Through our experience we have found that the design process works best for our clients when we fully manage the projection from conception through installation. We value our clients’ ideas and input which ensures that the space will reflect their desires, style, and lifestyle. Just call us your design connoisseurs! We will present you with the best design options and recommendations , eliminating all of the fuss for you behind the scenes so you can enjoy your life and family or focus on taking over the world!
Depending on the scope of work, your project could last anywhere from 4 weeks to 18 weeks - longer if there is construction and remodeling involved. For reference , full service projects typically take 8+ weeks.
If you are looking for a faster turn around, our online interior decorating service is for you. Your design is delivered in 2-4 weeks!
Our in-home consultations are pivotal to the design process. The 2-hour intensive includes recommendations , space planning , design advice and direction and review of your scope of work. Our initial consultations are in-valuable as the minimal cost for professional advice helps homeowners avoid costly mistakes and disappointments.
We do offer a complimentary discovery call for general inquiries about our process and getting to you and your design needs. Through our experience we find that the Discovery Call supports our process by building rapport and confirming that your are in good and experienced hands.
After the initial discovery call, once we have determined that we prospectively are a good fit, the next step is the in-home consultation.
The appointment lasts up to two hours. We will take a tour of your entire home, and focus on the rooms to be decorated. We discuss your needs, your vision, budget, time frame and expectations and make recommendations for improving the space.
The consultation fee is due at the time you call to book your appointment.
We will go over our flat fee contract during your consultation and provide you with a design fee quote at that time. After reviewing and approving the Fee Proposal, our design fee is due to begin the design process.
See the How We Work page for more details.
We ask that all decision makers are present at the consultation, to receive everyone's input and vision for the space. Determining your budget is a key component, so be prepared to talk to discuss. If you need help setting a budget, we are happy to provide you with minimum budget ranges based on room and desired aesthetic.
Absolutely! In fact, we discuss and measure all of your beloved pieces you would like to incorporate during our initial consultation.
However, we are also very honest about what works and what doesn't based on spacing, function, and your desired aesthetic.
We are based in North New Jersey but cover most of the Tri-State. . If we are a good fit then where you live doesn't matter as much. If you are located outside of our local service areas and you like what you have seen so far, we would be happy to talk with you about your design needs and can figure out the logistics from there. We also have our Luxury Online Interior Design Service that might be a great fit for your needs.
Each project is unique, so we require an in-home consultation to assess all the logistics of the project. Good news! We are typically able to quote our total design fees during the consultation and go over what that scope of work would entail.
We generally charge a flat service fee. This way, you know upfront what your overall fees will likely be. Our payment options are checks, credit cards and cash. Please refer to the FAQs of full service option or online interior design to see minimum design fee as applicable.
We work with clients to help them decide a suitable budget for their needs. We are here to help you maximize your budget and set realistic expectations. At this time our budget minimums are $15,000 (per room) for full service projects and $5,000 for e-design.
We do various stand-alone projects including custom window treatments/drapery , custom pillows, custom bedding and custom upholstery. We are happy to meet you for an in-home consultation, take measurements and design custom soft furnishing for you!
Your home is quite possibly the biggest purchase you will ever make. Decorating your home helps to increase its value and is usually well worth the investment, financially and holistically.
We believe in giving our clients what they deserve. And while we can’t deliver on vacation fun or spa days, we can transform your home into a luxurious retreat you’ll love coming home to after a long day at work. Investing in interior design is a small spend, for an oasis all of your own.
Book Your Discovery Call Now
FULL SERVICE INTERIOR DESIGN
- Full-service interior design
- Additions and renovations consulting
- New-construction consulting
- Project management
- Kitchens and bathrooms
- Furniture and accessories
- Space planning
- Custom cabinetry
- Fabrics and upholstery
- Floor coverings and rug design
- Wall coverings
- Window treatments
- Lighting design
- Hospitality and restaurants
- Public spaces and lobbies
- A network of contractors, electricians, plumbers, drapery treatment fabricators, faux finishers, painters, wallpaper installers, tile installers, custom glass crafters, movers, demo crews, wood finishers, lighting experts, cabinet makers, stone fabricators, custom concrete artists, architects, landscape architects, art consultants, upholsterers, bedding and pillow fabricators and much, much more.
Full-service interior design consists of three major phases:
- Conceptual Design
- Detailed Design
- Procurement and Implementation
Our full-service approach enables us to manage projects from initial concept through to completion, designing your home down to the final detail. It is our job to take care of the major and minute design details that turn a house into a home.
During this phase we get to know you and your design needs. The launching pad of the project is our 2 hour in-home consultation. Our design process and contract are reviewed at the consultation.
Deposit on design fees signifies project initiation.
The Conceptual Design Phase includes the following design services:
- We assess your current project space, take measurements and photos, and note any items you’d like to keep
- Design the ideal floor plan to ensure the best possible layout for the project.
- Create inspiration board(s) to communicate to ensure we have captured your style and vision
- Estimated budget outline to capture the elements that will be needed to make the project a reality, from furnishings to trades.
- Conduct “Trade Day” at your home. This is where we coordinate our trusted team of trades and artisans that will be working on the project for a site visit to review the scope of work and take their applicable measurements. This allows the trades to provide accurate quotes at the beginning of the project to be considered in the overall budget.
During this phase, we will confirm the design direction, layout, and budget of the project, with one revision offered.
The Detailed Design Phase consists of the following design services:
- Selection of each all furnishings, fabrics, fixtures, wallcoverings, etc.
- Procurement of written quotes from all trades and vendors
- Finalizing the approved floor plan(s), completion of all custom drawings , and elevations
- Presentation of the final design to client with powerpoint slideshow and all coordinating physical samples
- Final budget is presented with line-by-line allocations
The Purchasing and Execution Phase is where all the behind the scenes moving pieces begin to come together. Project Management is crucial during this phase.
Purchasing and Implementation Phase:
- Initiating purchase orders on your behalf
- Manage open orders by efficiently tracking goods and communicating lead times during project updates
- Preparing and overseeing the construction schedule and coordination of all contractors / trades
- Coordinate project logistics with contractors and vendors
- Provide site visits to ensure work is being conducted in accordance with design expectations
- Coordinate deliveries and installation day
- On site presence during deliveries and installations, where applicable
Furniture Installation and Styling
- Provide turnkey furniture installation, which means that all of the furnishings are delivered at one time on scheduled installation day
- Conduct shopping for final accessories and styling installation
- Provide client binder containing the care and maintenance of your newly completed space
- Identify & Resolve Deficiencies
- During the final walk through the client gets a chance to point out any deficiencies observed (paint drips, furniture tears , etc.) . We will coordinate resolution with the applicable vendor or trade within 14 days.
- Post your installation there may be outstanding invoices related to delivery , cleaning services, accessories, etc. We will request 100% payment of these items before the Client Closure Meeting.
All purchasing and execution goes through us.
Your purchase of interior design items (i.e. furniture, tile, fixtures, fabrics and other design materials) through us will serve as payment for our services during the Purchasing & Execution Phase. Our agreement is that we set a budget together, then furnishings are purchased through The Glass Touch.
This approach allows us to continue to offer our clients flat fees and exceptional service.
We require 100% deposit on all orders for many reasons:
- Our vendors won’t ship your items until full payment is received.
- Requesting and processing multiple deposits adds time to project management stage. Additional PM is not ideal for our flat fee structure.
- We are a design business and not a bank.
LUXURY ONLINE INTERIOR DESIGN
The online interior design questionnaire asks you to select from one of three budget tiers. These are only targets that will help inform our design process and selections, not guarantees. Once you receive your design pack, you can implement as specified or substitute items to meet your specific budget. You have complete control of when and what you purchase.
Properly measuring your room is crucial to our design process. The information you provide us helps us create your specific design. We recommend measuring everything twice to double check your numbers, taking extra care to measure door openings. We are not responsible for any incorrect measurements.
You get the the same level of attention and detail as full-service clients, within a four-week time frame!
n some cases you will have the option to purchase products directly from us when a custom or to-the-trade item fits your needs and budget.
In most cases, all furnishings will be specified as retail. Your design kit will have clickable links that allow you to purchase your items directly from the retail site.